Blankets of Love Community Quilts 2021/2022
Attention all VQG members: Blankets of Love is a national charitable organization that provides quilts to those in hospital suffering from mental health issues. Mental health issues are often overlooked and with Covid more people will be suffering from these concerns. The Vancouver Quilters’ Guild is asking members to make quilts to donate to this cause. The optimal size quilt is 60″x60″ but other sizes are acceptable provided they are large enough to be wrapped around a person.
- Please consider starting your charity quilt now if you have sufficient materials to make a quilt.
- We need donations of cotton quilting fabric including jelly rolls, charm packs, layer cakes, orphan blocks, larger pieces suitable for borders, bindings and yardage for backings. Please do not donate any polyester/cotton blends, canvas, twill, wool or other fabrics used in garment making as we cannot use these to make quilts.
- The donated fabrics will be assembled into packs to make a 60″x60″ quilt top. As soon as we have packs available, we will advise you. Our goal is to initially donate a minimum of 50 completed quilts.
- Batting can be supplied if required.
- Backing and binding availability will be dependent on donations from our members.
- Hopefully you will be able to quilt your charity quilt. The quilting can be very simple or you may want to try out some of the quilting designs you have learned in the Vancouver Quilters’ Guild workshops.
- Use your favourite quilt pattern or check out some easy patterns at https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-patterns/free-charity-quilt-patterns.
- To arrange a drop off or pick up of donation fabric, if you need help with any part of making your charity quilt or have any questions, please contact one of us. Our contact information can be found in the VQG newsletter and on the membership list.
Thank you for making a charity quilt. It will be cherished by whomever receives it.
— Sherri D and Nancy B